Thursday, December 30, 2010

Letters to my daughter 1

Dearest Ella,

When you get older, there is something I wish to give to you; when you get past the tumultuous, second-guessing, and confusing time of your adolescence, and you begin to see that it is possible your mom may know something (and perhaps may be cool again), I want to give you a picture.  I want to give you a photograph from your youth that embodies your true spirit; a photograph that radiates the pure, amazing, beautiful, and unique creature that you are.  My hope and wish is that when you are angry or sad or disappointed, or the pain seems too difficult to bear, you can reach into your pocket and pull out this picture, and it will bring you comfort and resolve.  I hope that when things get rough, this picture will remind you of the nature of your true being.  That you will be able to look at this picture, and say, “I’m doing this for you, the sweet, free child that I was and am.”  Life may cause you pain, bring tragedy, and sometimes it may feel as if you are shattered, but I hope this gift will remind you that you will never be lost.  You will never be lost, because the you that exists is infinite.  It cannot be destroyed by the darkness of this world, for in you, exists an eternal light.  My main purpose of this gift is to remind you to never lose sight of who you really are.  As hard as it may seem, do not let the things of this world stifle the fire within you.  They are just things, and all things die, but the truth of your spirit is forever.  I love you with all of myself, my dearest heart.  Please be gentle, loving, and kind to yourself-you are a creature of divine creativity, un-ending possibility, and immense love.  Bring with you peace and peace will bless your life, make forever friends with love and love with bloom and grow all around you, look with awe and wonder at the world and the world will always be wondrous: you are a child of the earth, a being of the universe, and my most precious gift.  Never forget your inner being, for it is far brighter than the stars, and without you, who will illuminate the darkness of the night?  I love you far beyond the confines of the word.  Thank you for blessing my life.  You returned me to myself.

Forever your adoring mother,
Mom
P.S. This isn't the picture I would use, but it is a favorite tender moment of mine.  Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to reread your thoughts and now I just absolutely have to say that you're a great mom, Ella and I are lucky to have you. I love you My Darling.