Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sunrise and Ginger Peach Tea

When I was a little girl, I had an American Girl Doll, named Samantha. I loved her life so much. She had tea in the parlor, wore elegant and classy outfits, and had the cutest accessories. I often imagined myself in her world. I was a young girl in 1904, before the advent of television, where ladies sat in big hats and sipped lemonade and ate cucumber sandwiches, where they always wore dresses, and etiquette and refinement were not just parts of history, but a part of everyday society. I still think of her from time to time; she sits in a box in my closet, her clothes tattered, and hair wiry from washing, and I miss those days when she and I would play. It's strange how something as insignificant as a doll, can shape who we wish to become, that a doll and her stories, can unlock a door within oneself, where dreams can filter out. They discontinued Samantha and I wonder why? I guess in the 21st century there isn't a place for her in little girls hearts. Why with Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus glam, Samantha and her quiet sophistication cannot compete. This truly saddens me, because the only Samantha I can offer Ella, is one that is almost 20 years old. I hope Ella learns to value the past and all that it has to offer. I hope that in our liberal age, she still finds value in being a lady and being ladylike. I can't wait to buy her the books about Samantha, maybe one day, she'll tell me about the impact they had on her life. In the end, I will never forget my precious little doll, how much she taught me about who I wanted to be, and I will never forget mornings in the parlor and the drinking of tea.

No comments: