Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cheers our first MAJOR outing with Ella: The Oregon Zoo

Today was a wonderful day.  Joe, Ella, and I visited the Oregon Zoo, Ella took her first ride on a school bus, and Ella even fell asleep in her stroller amongst the myriads of screaming children. 


Not only was it Ella's first trip to the zoo, but it was also her six-month birthday!!!  And she wanted to celebrate.
She cooed at every little kid she saw, I think she thought they would respond like her cousins, some did, some didn't know what to think of such a social little baby.  The adults just loved her: a couple of other mothers cooed right back at her.

My favorite animal at the zoo is always the big cats.  They have a new predators of Africa exhibit; they now have African Wild dogs, cheetahs, and my favorite: the lion.

Also in Africa, Ella got cozy with a snake.
(not a real one, but you guessed that, didn't you)
Joe was most fond of the polar bears, and we both agreed they were the most active.

There were actually a lot of bears at the zoo.
The Malayan Sun Bear

 The polar bear (see above) and 
 a bear that I can't seem to remember its name


oh! the Brieanna Bear, very scary.
We saw a lot of other animals: zebras, cougars, a rhino, hippopotamus'(i), penguins, a meerkat, and my other favorite animal, the wolf.

I couldn't help noting the similarity between this wolf and Cosmo


By the end of the day, Joe and I were pooped, my feet were covered with dirt, and Ella smelled like pickles(note to self, never give pickles to a baby). But we were all very happy.

Joe and I learned some things today also:
1. Bring more than one sweater in case baby gets pickle juice all over herself.
2. Bring more than one blanket and a burp rag.
3. Get a smaller stroller.
4. Taking a baby anywhere requires lots of equipment.
5. Have a sense of humor about everything.

We had to get on a shuttle with Ella's stroller, car seat, diaper bag, and Ella; it required a lot of maneuvering, and definitely a sense of humor.

I am so glad that we went to the Zoo today, we all really needed to get out of the house, and do something different. I loved walking around, hand in hand with Joe, while Ella slept soundly in her stroller, it was such a wonderful, strengthening experience for our little family.

I love my husband! My little Ella Ainsley! And my life!!!

A few more pictures that I liked:

Thank goodness for sunny days and a beautiful family.

1 comment:

Megan Marie said...

There really is nothing like spending the day as a family! I know that all the times that Matt and I and our babies have gone out together for major outings, it has really strengthened our little family, too.

love the picture of you as a bear. love ella's cute, little face. love you guys. :)