Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New Traditions and Ambitions

Joe and I decided to institute a family night.  We started this week by creating a sign to hang outside.
It's not complete yet, it needs to dry, and I plan on adding something to it, to punch it up.

We picked green and white thinking it would look great with the garden we plan on planting and the bench we plan on putting in.
 Something like this, but with a back, perhaps?

The garden brings me to the next part of this blog, the ambitions-

Joe and I plan on planting an herb garden with tomatoes, carrots, and possibly peppers.  I also plan on planting roses, all red, and variations of red, snap dragons, and other flowers.  

We came to this decision after watching Food Inc., a documentary about the food industry, and the truth about the food we eat and where it comes from.  It is a powerful movie.  I recommend that everyone watch it, and think carefully about the choices they make regarding food. After watching it, Joe and I decided we would only eat organic foods-life without pesticides, artificial and genetically engineered produce and meats, and locally grown the old fashioned way-we also decided we would grow our own vegetables, and join Fairy Godmother's Garden, which provides local people with fresh produce through the harvest for a small fee.  Finally, we decided we would try to shop at the Farmer's Market when it begins in April.  We also thought, how amazing would it be for Ella to never eat foods that were ripened by chemicals or eat meat that contained ammonia in order to kill e-coli and other bacteria.  She hasn't so far.  She eats organic baby food and cereal.  We've eaten only organic for the last three days and I feel great about it.  I feel like I am getting more in touch with mother earth, which has always been important to me. 

Here is the trailer for Food Inc. for anyone interested.



My next endeavor, is creating Ella's baby book.  I thought it would be great to personalize it with my own creativity rather than give her a store bought one.  I started a few days ago.
I am very excited to continue.  I love creating beautiful things.  I can't believe how much of a girl I really am; i love lots of glitter, fairy tales, and anything shiny.

I have also started my spring cleaning project.  Today I did all the laundry in the house and cleaned out the pantry. I can't believe how much crap we had stocked up.
That's only half of it.  It feels so good to get rid of stuff.  We are 
donating a bunch to the local food drive. 
Our good deed for the day.
Finally, Ella is the cutest baby in the world.  Here is the proof.
I put it on myself and she gave me the most puzzled look.  So I put it on her and this was the result.

1 comment:

Megan Marie said...

You are my hero. Such ambitions. You inspire me to be better.